
Adams Falls-Grand Lake, Colorado
What is it about the anticipation of leaving that makes everyday life more vibrant? I'd been in a little funk after Mother's Day—a long story about real life that isn't important to the telling of my adventure. What is important to know is that I needed to leave the rest of my life behind for a while and the American Industrial Hygienist's conference in Denver on May 23rd was not just an opportunity to change surroundings but also to visit a place I love. I was going to the mountains and counting finding the inspiration that was eluding me in Cincy.
My big profound love for the boundless western expanses and the breathtaking enormity of the Rockies is something else I inherited from Dad. Like a child anticipating Christmas, I longed to be overwhelmed by the endless sky. I felt that being out west I would be completely absorbed in the landscape's sublime beauty. I was sure my would stalled inspiration would shake loose inspiration and the energy to get lost in a painting would return. Only one or two of you will raise an eyebrow about me waxing poetic, but even to you I make no apologies about my unbridled enthusiasm. Can't be bothered with pretending to be jaded about something that is all about shock and awe.
As if it weren't enough to be among the mountains and all their characters, I was getting to spend time in Estes Park with an old college roommate, Sue Sewell King, and her husband, David — two very favorite people. Sue has hands down one of the best laughs on the planet. But I've gotten ahead of the story. The trip began in Denver.
The AIHA Coming Out Party and Local Friends from Foreign Places
The impetus for the trip was really the premiere of one of my first notable contributions at NIOSH — a large new exhibit for the Institute that had been in the planning for some time before I arrived and which had undergone serious redesign under my tutelage. Can't find the photo, but it looked great, made a bold statement, and stood out among a sea of information. Glowing reviews including those from the institute director. I felt I had realized a milestone and passed the test.
As it was, the conference turned out to be memorable for other reasons including keynotes by Robert Kennedy, Jr. and the President of the United Mine Workers Union as well as great presentations by our director, John Howard, and OSHA's new director, David Michaels. It was at Dr. Howard's presentation that I had one of those wonderful quirks of fate that happens at those times when you are share close quarters with strangers for a few days. A woman with a wonderful eastern european accent and the looks of my "Aunt" Diane Descourez came up to ask me if she was in the right place for Dr. Howard's session. One thing led to another and in a few hours we knew most of each other's life stories and were jacked up on synchronicity. She is a retired chemical engineer and her significant other is a respected industrial hygienist from California. We shared a delightful dinner with another hygienist speaking at the conference and enjoyed truly stimulating conversation devoid of the trappings of ego, accomplishment, and other new relationship killers. On parting, Olivera and I acted like 10 year olds having shared their first camp experience — pledging to write, visit, and grow a new friendship.
Channeling John Denver
Was that his real name? Don't really care but thought of him in passing as I took in a volatile sky on my way to Loveland after three days at the Denver conference. Not one to let JD ruin my aesthetic experience, I put in my ipod buds and took in the vast horizon to Pavarotti and James Taylor. I was probably humming too loudly, but luckily the few others on the bus seemed too tired to notice.
My old friend, Sue, was waiting as we drove up and we yacked like magpies catching up on the details of the six years that have passed since my last visit. Sue and David are avid outdoors folk and they had a serious induction planned for me. Thursday we headed for Estes Park and what they hope will be their retirement home. The housing market is not helping them in moving their beautiful Loveland home--so the equally wonderful mountain residence is their weekend getaway until things turn around. The pictures below give you an idea of their hideaway vista.

Rocky Mountain High in a Nutshell
I could go on and on about the following four days, but I suspect in this case I'll have more luck conveying the experience by condensing it. So here goes. In four days I hiked about 14 miles at around 8,000 feet without passing out or seriously hindering the pace. We had several instances of 6 degrees of separation--one was encountering a woman who was a friend of a high school classmate I haven't seen in 30 years. I entertained passerbys, influenced about 10 to buy watercolors, and completed three rather nice little paintings.
Sprague Lake-Rocky Mountain National Park

Lily Lake-Rocky Mountain National Park
Sue and I were nearly stampeded by a moose in Grand Lake (the first I've ever seen in real life--see his docile picture below)

My first live moose siting.
and we traveled up and over the top of the world at approximately 14,000 feet.

Visiting the top of the world.

Sue, Donna, and snow at the top of the world.
I saw herds of elk and deer, mountain goats, and magpies along with precious, delicate wildflowers and raging streams. I added several new species of evergreens to the list of pines I can identify and felt my Dad along for the ride. The alluvial fan at the mouth of the Estes gorge brought memories of my family's 1970's trip to Estes Park (when I was on my own) where they left town hours before campers were washed out of the canyon.

The site of the Alluvial Fan Painting


The Alluvial Fan-Rocky Mountain National Park
As I painted it, I found it hard to imagine the contained stream swelling to wild and racing waters that night. (The Arkansas flood of last weekend brought it eerily to mind again.) I lost count of the times I gasped, "Isn't that incredible!" And, unlike most vacations, I really didn't want to come home.
Epilogue
Nevertheless, there is something to be said for your own bed. I slept well on my return dreaming with a smile about the persistent sales pitch I got from Susan about retiring or planning the next chapter of my life in Colorado. Susan and David, being the meticulous planners that they are, have figured out where I will show my art, earn a living, and find a companion. Sue even showed me my house and the venue for my gigs. She's also determined that once I come to Colorado I will drive a mini-Cooper. (You have to know Sue to appreciate all this.)
Big sky country had been on my short list. I even applied for a few jobs there. This isn't a hard sell. Since the trip, she's sending me new job listings and music festival information. Who knows?! Never say never. The sky's the limit.


Old Woman
ReplyDeleteWeather Channel says you are being blown away at this very moment.
J Denver - Henry John Deutchendorf, Jr.
I like Denver, I can visit you in Denver! Love the pictures, love the paintings but you knew that. :)B
ReplyDelete