Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lucky or Tenacious?

THE TRUTH IN TUNES or YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT or IT DON'T COME EASY

Even the most committed optimist knows that nothing is free nor does it come easy. Nevertheless, today I was tempted to find a crap table. My low ball offer on "4211 Muchmore Rd." was accepted without a hiccup. The bank who'd repossessed it even threw in a homeowner's warranty and a dryer vent to boot.

Not in my wildest dreams did I expect my first -- did I mention low ball? -- offer to fly. I expected a counter and then was prepared to come up another 25,000 if need be. I have been channeling my Dad, Charlie, all day. If there is a joint in some black water hole in a remote corner of the universe, Chuck Van Bogaert is drinking a virtual beer and telling the other guys that it was his kid who made today's good deal.

My realtor, Andrew, was literally giddy when he called. Naturally he was wondering what I was thinking when I told him what I wanted to offer. However, he was impressed by my letter to the bank subtlely letting them know that not everyone was going to want their precious bundle and that single mom that I am --- with the ability to close a deal immediately (since I had no contingent property to dump)--I also had a price point. And, yes, I hope we will be able to do business. But, no, I never figured it would be this easy. Of course, there is the inspection to get through but the property has already passed the critical eye of the township.

Lest you think I was content with the mere finding of a house let alone an accepted low offer in two weeks, I gently urged by agent to consider how I could occupy the house before 9/25 so I wouldn't have a hotel to contend with or storage. So, we're shooting for a 9/21 closing. The real stress here is poring through 21 years of crap in McFarland and finding the least expensive way of disposing of it. OK, it's not all crap but an amazing amount is. Listen, I'm the daughter of first generation US Belgians and Lithuanians--farmers AND depression babies. I was doomed. The happy truth is that I DON'T have to get through the entire accumulation. I'm not selling this house -- yet. Before you judge me too harshly, remember, this isn't just family stuff -- it's also 21 years of business, too.

At any rate, if all goes well I will be the proud owner of 4211 Muchmore Road in Mariemont, Ohio. Make your reservations now for Chez Bogie's. I already have a reservation for 10/26 already and Mom will be out before the snow flies. The boys are really excited and happy, though Thomas and I got weirded out today talking about how strange it will seem not to have Christmas like we're used to in McFarland. What most people don't know is that one of the reasons I loved the house here is that the moment I walked in I saw what it would look like at Christmas. And it has been a magical Christmas house as well as home to 20-some Caroling Parties. I wonder how well Cincinnatians sing.






I'm asking you all to collectively cross your fingers that we can close on 9/21 and I will be situated in my new home by 9/28 when I walk into NIOSH for the first time as the new IRD Branch Chief. If you haven't seen it already, here's a link to the pre-Donna photos of Chez Bogie.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vbassoc/CincinnatiMuchmore#

3 comments:

  1. Well done! Congrats on getting your next "inch".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna
    Well done, I really appreciate your tenacity
    Great stuff
    Rebone, SA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, don't order the 10/26 double chocolate frosted cake until the weekend, cuppiecake. So, please tell housekeeping to move my reservation to the weekend. And, could you tell cook that I would enjoy breakfast on the deck. And, let's see, fluffy towels and one of those neat soft bathrobes.....no wait, I have one. :)B

    ReplyDelete